I’m taking advantage of the holiday to finally make some progress in restoring some of the things that were clobbered when I installed 10.4. Namely, MediaWiki on my PowerBook and CVS on my Power Mac.
The first step for MediaWiki is to install MySQL, which has gone well so far. I just had to update Fink (which to my surprise hadn’t gotten clobbered) and use it to do the installation. That’s as far as I’ve gotten at the moment.
For CVS, I decided to finally make the jump to Subversion. Again I had to deal with Fink, and the only trick there was to use tcsh instead of bash. Other than that it went pretty much as documented. The tricky part was converting my CVS repository. The official cvs2svn tool requires more stuff that 10.4 doesn’t have, and this time Fink doesn’t help. Fortunately and unsurprisingly, I’m not the first to tackle this, and I found this post which got me through it. The key thing there was that I had already downloaded bsddb3, but I had version 4.2.4, which didn’t work. Once I got version 4.3.0 things proceeded like they were supposed to.
There’s still more to be done to make sure this is all working, but I needed to take a little break. To be honest, I’m not Unix-savvy enough that I can type stuff like “sudo make install” without getting just a little nervous.